IUSTI Values and principles regarding sexual and reproductive rights
The purpose of this statement is to express the values, principles, and actions of the International Union against Sexually Transmitted Infections (IUSTI) in terms of sexual and reproductive rights. Recognition of these rights – and incorporation of these values and principles into all IUSTI activities – is central to global efforts to address the interacting factors associated with sexually transmitted infections.
Our perspective is that endorsement of these values and principles is central to the IUSTI objectives (as stated in Article 2 of the IUSTI Statutes): “to advance public health so far as it is affected by sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and to promote and encourage the study of the public health aspects of sexually transmitted infections, including HIV infection, the endemic treponematoses and other sexual health problems.”
The intended audience for this statement is IUSTI members, organizers of IUSTI-sponsored events, and participants of IUSTI-sponsored events.
Our expression of these values, principles, and actions reflects anorganizational commitment to professionalism and evidence-based practice, and is without political, religious or social ties (as prohibited in the IUSTI charter).
IUSTI is guided by three core values related to sexual and reproductive health: personal autonomy; non-discrimination; and, equitable access.
- Sexual and reproductive personal autonomy / bodily integrity / self-determination are basic human rights for each person.
- Non-discrimination – Equitable consideration is due to each person and each community affected by sexually transmitted infections.
- Equitable access to knowledge and services – Each person is due equitable access to state-of-the-art information and services related to the causes, consequences, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of sexually transmitted infections.
IUSTI is committed to three core principles: sexual rights; sexual citizenship; and, sexual justice.
- Sexual rights are human rights pertaining to reproductive choice, sexuality, and sexual expression.
- Sexual citizenship reflects full access to benefits and responsibilities of all citize
- Sexual justice reflects effective systems for inclusion, access to procedural and distributive justice, and social transformation.
IUSTI endorses recognition and inclusion of these values and principles in all IUSTI activities.
- As professional guidance for members at international, regional, and individual levels.
- For conduct at IUSTI sponsored meetin
- As advocacy for scientific conduct aligned with these values and principles.
- In organisation of IUSTI-sponsored training courses, scholarships, and provision of assistance.